This February, Treat Your Legs To A Little Tlc
Our legs carry us up, down and all around, all year long. This February, love your legs by showing them a little extra TLC. Here are six ideas to make your legs look and feel great:
- Work and stretch your leg muscles, especially your calves, to keep them looking and feeling their best. In addition to improving muscle tone, movement enhances blood flow in your legs.
- Address issues. Take care of any problems as soon as you notice them to prevent them from worsening. If you feel pain or heaviness in your legs or feet or have unsightly spider or varicose veins that prevent you from feeling and looking your best, call us for an appointment.
- Raise them up. Elevating your feet and legs means your body doesn’t have to work as hard to circulate blood to and from the heart. Elevate legs while sleeping and periodically throughout the day. If you are stationary much of the day, schedule regular breaks to walk around and get blood moving, or put your feet up to aid circulation.
- Wear compression socks. When you will be sitting or standing for prolonged periods—due to work, travel or other reasons—wearing compression garments helps prevent blood from pooling in your lower limbs. Today’s compression wear comes in a range of fashionable colors and styles, so you don’t have to sacrifice style for health.
- Avoid crossing your legs, sitting on them or otherwise bending them at the knees for long periods. In fact, avoid anything that restricts blood flow through your legs, as this can cause blood to pool in leg veins, contributing to spider and varicose veins.
- Moisturize daily. Like all your skin, the skin on your legs really benefits from daily moisturizing. For best results, apply lotion or cream immediately after your shower to lock in moisture, and before bed so the product can work while you sleep. When your legs are exposed in the warmer months, be sure to protect them, and all exposed skin, with regular application of sunblock. Nothing ages skin faster than the sun!